Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Back to the North Island we go

    February 28, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Woke up about 6:30 today as we need to be at the dock by 8:00am. We quickly showered and headed into Picton. We got there about 7:45 and checked in. We then had to wait for the boat to be ready before we all drove on. Once we were on the boat we left our cars down stairs headed up to find a spot to site. We found really good recliners at the front of the boat where we sat the duration. During the 3 hour ride we ate some yummy jam and cream scones although the wait was over half an hour. Once we docked we headed to the zoo.as Chris still had not seen a kiwi bird. We walked around the zoo for about 2 hours and looked at all the enclosures. The zoo wasnt anything special it was quite run down. We spent a lot of time looking at the apes and then on our way out we watched a quick kiwi show in their enclosure which was interesting. The lady told us how Weta has made one of the kiwis an ascetic leg as he had lost his in an attack. This kiwi was the first in the world to have an ascetic anything although he preferred not to use them.
    After the zoo we headed straight up Highway 1 and then onto 3 where we reached Whanganui. It was around dinner time by now, we went to go get some pizza however it was like a 45 minute wait and the area had some rough looking people in the carpark so we decided to leave. We found a caravan park right next to the pub and river. It was only $10 which included hot showers and toilets. The guy who ran it was so nice and accomodating to everyone. We cooked some burgers again and ate then in the sunshine. We then watched The Great Wall again as Chris had fallen and sleep last night. We actually got through it all for once haha then went to sleep.
    Read more