Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Waitomo Caves

    March 4, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We woke up fairly early and had some breaky and showered. Our first cave was at 9:00am which wasnt to bad because it was down the road. The first cave was called Aranui Cave. We meet in the carpark and then walked 100 meters down to one of the entrances. The actually entrance knowone was aloud to enter as it was sacret. The entrance we enter was a fake one with some fake rocks which looked trippy. The tour guide scanned her pass and then a large solid door opened and there was a large spiral down about 50 meters. At the bottom there was a rock which you needed to wash your hands so the spirits stayed protected. This cave wasnt to largest cave however still had a river running along the bottom of the walkway. We both were amazed all at the formations. We were in this cave for about 40 minutes and learnt so much!!
    We then drove 2 minutes down the road to the next cave parking were we waited about half an hour. This caves was called the Ruakuri Cave. We had to walk up a dirt path and some stairs to get to these caves. This cave is one of the newest caves found which was found by accident. It had a small opening and a small entrance which had quite a few glow worms and some funky inspects. This cave was similar to the last however had a lot of out of bounds areas which were amazing, they had loads of formations. After about 45 minutes we headed to the next cave.
    The Waitmo Cave was the cave we really wanted to see. We still had an hour left so we grabbed some lunch and waited. We had several steep steps to climb down and then we got to a large open area in the cave. The guide had told us school concerts and opera performances we held down in this area. It was beauitful like nothing we had ever see before. Our guide got us to sing happy birthday as no one in our group offered to sing, this was to show that the cave had no eco at all. We then walked around the cave until we reached the boat area where we lined up to jump into these 20 seat cannoes. Here we had a guide that push the boat around in the complete dark as everyone had to be quiet, this was because there were 100s even thousands of glow worms on the formations above. It looked amazing!!! After exploring the dark river for anout 20 minutes we reached the end of the cave. We then explored the gift shop where we both bought a t-shirt.
    Read more