Satellite
  • Day 26

    Nitmiluk to Mataranka

    September 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We headed to the 9am 2 Gorge Dreaming Cruise we booked into around 8.30am. The whole park was blacked out for some reason so everything was running a bit behind. The cruise location is only a 900m easy walk from the campground (almost no stairs!). The park have recently had a large influx of bats which had us feeling right at home, unfortunately the walk took us through their roosting area which wasn't pleasant.

    After a late start the cruise took us through the first Gorge which was lush and green and incredibly calm. Although we saw a crocodile trap we didn't see any of the anticipated fresh water crocs we were expecting. They are not considered dangerous to people at all according to our guide. The last person injured by one was trying to move it to get a better photo.

    Half an hour in and we stopped and had to walk about 400m to the boat taking us to the next Gorge. On the walk we were able to see a few rock paintings and and take in the beautiful landscape. Apparently I took a little too long taking it all in and held up the boat. The second Gorge was also stunning as we saw more of the expected cliff walls we were expecting. It was amazing seeing so many trees growing on an angle due to the pressure of the water during the wet season. We also saw an area that turns into an enormous whirlpool during the wet season and has created depths of up to 55m in that area. It was wonderful.

    On the way back to the van we stopped at the visitors centre and got the girls their Nitmiluk pins. The girls have been collecting pins from all the places we've stayed. They're earning quite a collection! As we packed up we noticed several red tailed black cockatoos in a nearby tree. It was really something else seeing them in the wild. And that restarted the girls talking about all the birds they want us to get as pets for the rest of the day!

    We stopped at Katherine again for bread and milk then we were nonstop to Mataranka! It took us about 10mins to check in and get changed ready for a swim. Jon missed out the first time we were here so it was great that he got to experience it here before he headed home. We swam for about 45 minutes before saying our goodbyes to Jon, then stayed in nearly an hour longer before deciding we needed to dry off and and head back to the van.

    We've had a lovely relaxing afternoon just chilling out and seeing some of the local wildlife. With the next few days being predominantly driving as we head towards the Daintree, this afternoon was just what we needed!
    Read more