Satellite
  • Day 37

    Daintree Lynx-Haven Rainforest Accom

    September 16, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    For our last day in the Daintree we decided to stay at the caravan park and just chill out. We started the day with our chance to pay forward the help we were given with our tyre when Joe noticed the French tourists across from us had locked their keys in their car and were looking seriously concerned it took Joe nearly half an hour and two coat hangers to save the very embarrassed and stressed young couple who were very grateful. The look of utter relief on their faces when the car was unlocked was priceless.

    At 10am we did the tour of the rescue that is part of the caravan park. The owners Justin and Kristy have built on what the previous owner started and currently house 3 crocodiles, 19 wallabies and two pure Dingoes. About half the wallabies are to be released back into the wild while the others are what he calls 'lifers' and will stay here and be used to educate visitors.

    As well as these animals they also have about 3 cockatiels, a cranky little conure, lorikeets, galahs, 15 Eclectus Parrots and several snakes. On any given day 6 parrots and 2 snakes can be found free ranging in the grasses area in front of the restaurant or on stands around the seated area. It's fantastic to be able to see these animals out of their cages. There are multiple signs up telling people not to touch the animals (and if you've ever seen the results of an Eclectus bite you would understand) but just being able to see them out like that is a great experience.

    After the tour Joe and I sat for about an hour watching the snakes being unusually active and possum (a disabled Eclectus) climb over the chairs and table. To be honest to was probably the other tourists that were the most entertaining! English people calling the cockatiels 'pigeons', freaking out over the real snakes on the ground, generally being amazed at the free ranging animals just as we did the first day.

    We decided to stay and have lunch. Justin had mentioned to Paige that they also have a joey being bottle fed and brought it out to show her when he saw us waiting for lunch. She was seriously impressed! Unfortunately he couldn't keep her out for long with a tourist bus full of people noticing the joey not long after Justin brought it out. They are very careful not to allow the animals to be stressed. They can not be faulted on their dedication.

    After lunch we took a walk to look at the aviaries and went back to the van. While the girls watched a DVD and Joe practiced his chanter, I went for a walk with my camera through one of the rainforest walks here at the caravan park. It was beautiful! The rainforest is life on to of life. Everywhere you look is alive, the air is so fresh and it is completely peaceful. By the time I got back Joe had started packing up the non essentials outside and tidied up the car ready for another big driving day tomorrow.

    After a bit more organising an some dinner we sat and watched Rio 2 and I'm hoping for an early night. We've had an amazing time up here! If you ever get the chance to see it don't pass it up and if you don't stay, make sure you at least visit Lync-Haven for a meal and a look at their growing rescue!
    Read more