Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Jungle Surfing through the Daintree

    September 15, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Paige was up at the crack of dawn ready to help Justin, the owner, feed the birds. Lara decided to go as well. They came back about an hour later, very pleased with helping out!

    We had breakfast and headed off to Jungle Surfing! It is a series of six zip lines through the rainforest canopy. Definitely something to experience! Very pricey ($95 for kids $105 for adults) but a great one off activity.

    To start with the girls got in the human hamster wheel to get Joe and I up to the first platform. They were particularly looking forward to that bit. Then other people in the group hoped on the wheel to get the girls up and so on. The first three sections were in pairs and the girls insisted on going together and that they went first. At each platform our guides Ben and Noel would tell us about the area we could see along with information about the trees and the wildlife. Occasionally we saw Ulysses Butterflies flying around but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch one. They are apparently one of the fastest butterflies in the world as protection as their brilliant blue colouring makes them easy for predators to spot.

    From the third platform we could see through the rainforest, across Cape Tribulation beach and out to sea to the Great Barrier Reef. It was awe inspiring. The following zip line was the longest at 78m long. They slowed you down half way across so you could really get a good look from about 18m above ground level. The forth zip line was our first individual trip and was a lot faster than the others. The fifth was also individually and we all flew through the canopy up-side-down! The last was a race to the finish in pairs side by side and it was very quick!

    We got back to the gift shop and picked up our photos and ducked in to the Turtle Rock Cafe for lunch before heading back to the van. The girls got their blogs started for the day before heading to reception for iceblocks.

    We had a very quiet afternoon at the van. The girls watched a movie while I sorted photos on the laptop and Joe practiced his chanter. It's five weeks today since we left on our adventure and I'm still amazed at all the things we've managed to see and do. Once we leave the Daintree we will officially be on our way home with a few fun stops along the way. It's really been a dream trip. So many more places we want to see now but we're all looking forward to being home again. Only two weeks left of our first real Australian adventure.
    Read more