Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Driving to Bowen

    September 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We left Lync-Haven before 7am with the plan to drive as close to Airlie Beach as we could. The girls jumped straight in the car, PJ's and all and we set off. It was a surprisingly quick trip as we watched the landscape change from thick rainforest to beach and sugarcane fields and slowly return to the more bush like landscape were used to. We even started spotting more red dirt again.

    Before we knew it, it was 10am and we decided to stop for fuel and breakfast in Innisfail. About an hour or so after getting back on the road we heard an assistance request over the radio and shortly after stopped to help a couple on the side of the road with a punctured tyre on their Harley. Joe sorted them out and we were on our way again.

    We stopped just outside Townsville for fuel and some lunch. I called the Airlie Beach Big 4 we were booked into from tomorrow but unfortunately they were booked out and couldn't fit us in for the extra night so we headed to the Bowen Big 4 for the night and got in after 5pm. It's a nice little caravan park but is clearly designed for smaller vans. Could be interesting getting out in the morning! The girls went and had a look at the beach while we got sorted. We were too tired to want to organise dinner so we drove over to Bird's Fish and Chips and grabbed some takeaway. It really hit the spot!!

    The girls have their blogs done and are currently enjoying the complementary internet available here until I need to upload what they've written. I spent hours in the car today uploading blogs and photos from the last week we've been without service. I'm not in a rush tonight! It was one of our biggest driving days of the trip today but tomorrow is a nice easy 1 hour drive to Airlie Beach and their super duper Big 4 with its own water park! Joe is very excited! He's completely exhausted from today.

    ** Nearly forgot to say we clicked over the 10,000km mark about 25km before we arrived in Bowen!
    Read more