Satellite
  • Day 38

    The "Haarlem Globe Trotters"

    October 11, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    To the bakery (Utopie) to get breakfast (black bread and coffee), lunch on the train (sandwiches), bread and dessert for later (coffee eclair and lemon tart). Yum.

    Then packed (in 15 minutes - talk about efficient/we'd barely unpacked to begin with) and to Gare du Nord station via the metro. Isses with collecting the tickets (currently grumpy with Westpac) but managed to make the train thanks to very nice and helpful staff.

    Nice train ride and 3 hours later we arrived in Amsterdam. Struggling with the language but most people speak good English anyway. Semi figured out the transport system so decided to buy their OV card (contact-less Oyster/Snapper equivalent). They last 4 years so let us know if anyone is going to Amsterdam and wants to borrow them for transport!

    Then a short ride (15min) on a double decker train to Haarlem. Looks pretty cute so far. Found the airbnb place, lovely hosts! An older retired couple - wife a talented artist and husband a local music event organiser. We were shown her art studio (very intricate work with heat and vacuum equipment - gave us a whole new appreciation for how much work is involved in restoring old paintings). Also told us a bit about his NZ family connection and a bit on the history of the house.

    The place is very old (16th century), and when they were refurbishing it they discovered a cellar with a door to the street (despite being below street level). After a bit of investigating, they found out that the cellar is from when the street was a canal and barges used to deposit their goods here. Very interesting - plus the house is definitely charming (with some steep stairs)!

    Did some groceries, then settled in for a quiet evening. Looking forward to speculoos spread and exploring Amsterdam tomorrow morning!
    Read more