Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Seville - Day 7

    July 6, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    On our second day in Seville, we visited the Maria Luisa Park, seeing the pavilions built for the Ibero-American Fair in 1929 on the way to the Plaza of Spain, where the Spanish pavilion is located. This huge pavilion housed exhibits from all 17 regions of Spain for the Fair.

    Next we strolled through the Santa Cruz district, the medieval Jewish quarter, with its narrow winding streets and flower bedecked wrought-iron balconies, towards the Seville Cathedral.

    After Seville was reconquered by the Christians in 1248, its main mosque was used as a church until 1401, when it was knocked down to make way for what would become the world’s largest Gothic Cathedral. It was completed in 1507.

    Inside he cathedral stands the elaborate tomb of Christopher Columbus, dating from 1902. The remains within the tomb are the subject of debate, with some arguing that he is buried in the Dominican Republic, but he is revered in Seville due to his contribution to its history.

    Seville is the home of tapas and we had an exceptional lunch of grilled mushrooms; goat's cheese and honey; and grilled octopus.

    Finally we visited the sublime and romantic Real Alcazar, the royal castle/palace built by the Moors and residence to many generations of caliphs, with richly scented gardens, domed halls, horseshoe arches and courtyards. This palace and its gardens are the location for the kingdom of Dorne in Game of Thrones.

    That evening we visited a 350 year old restaurant in Seville called El Rinconcillo (literally meaning the inside of a little corner) for a tapas dinner with the tour group. This was followed by a horse carriage ride through the streets of Seville back to our hotel.
    Read more