Satellite
  • Day 14

    Days 14 & 15: Brasilia and the night bus

    August 27, 2018 in Brazil ⋅ 🌬 27 °C

    The 4-hour return trip to Brasilia. Originally the bearded wonder at the general store was going to sell tickets but when the bus turns up, he won't do it so the bus conductor has to sell them to the 20 or so people getting on board. Oh well, we are in Brasilia at nightfall and I get the Metro into the city centre followed by a short taxi ride. The Hotel Diplomat is low-rise and no-nonsense. It has a cheaper lower ground floor but Room 101, despite the name, is perfectly comfortable.

    The next morning, a good buffet breakfast and time to spare for the onward trip. There’s time to walk to the northern arm of the residential area. All the street addresses in Brasilia use letters for districts; while I have been staying in is SHN (Setor Hoteleiro Norte) and I am headed for the SQN (Superquadra Norte). More logical than a Moroccan medieval city---just about---and I like the 60s look. The quiet apartment blocks remind me of nothing so much as a tropical East Berlin.

    To the Rodoviaria for the final time for the 21-hour overnight journey to Cuiaba. Lots of stops in some forgettable towns and a 1- hour detour in and out of Goiania, the state capital. And the man next to me is snoring for Brazil. Roll on the Mato Grosso!
    Read more