Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 454

    Regent's Canal: if this is Thursday.....

    June 3, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    ......I must be in Little Venice, again. The beautiful early summer weather continues and it's time to sport a new weapon of choice, a mirrorless Canon camera. Besides having an increased resolution on my previous Canons, its electronic viewfinder provides an accurate exposure check before shooting---very useful.

    Little Venice is at a junction with an arm leading to Paddington Basin. It was always the poshest part of the canal but now most other stretches have become gentrified as well. Even the Trellick Tower (image 3), a prime example of brutalism from the time I first discovered this canal, has become a Grade II listed building. But Ian Fleming hated this style so much that he named one of James Bond's villains after the architect, Erno Goldfinger!

    Image 5 takes me to Camden Lock, once moribund but now a challenge to the social distancing which is supposed to continue for at least 6 more weeks. And finally to the King's Cross area, where acres of railway yards have been replaced by hipster apartments and sleek offices for multinational techie companies.
    Read more