Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 282

    The other end of Europe

    October 9, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    With Istanbul at the far east of the Mediterranean, Andalucia in Spain is at the farthest west. Until the last 15th century it was part of a Moorish kingdom and part of Morocco which itself is named after the west or sunset.

    It's far from sunset however when I start this 10-day trip with Russell and Alan, my partners in crime from northern Europe in July. Our Sunday afternoon flight was postponed to a dawn start the next day. Aircraft shortage? Staff dispute? Airline overbooking? Who knows? Anyway, a 6 a.m meet up at Victoria and then to Gatwick.

    Apart from a long immigration queue, it's a seamless arrival, and the booking agency refund the unused night in our very comfortable studio in the heart of Malaga. Our first visit is to the Alcazaba, the Moorish hilltop fortress which allows excellent views of this half-million-plus city. As you can see, it's popular with cruise ships but there are also quieter, typically southern Spanish, quarters. But also, as to be expected from a provincial hub, public demonstrations---thankfully, peaceful this time.

    For us, the highlight of Malaga is its covered market and especially its stained glass showing nautical scenes. Euromillions do run in Spain but the traditional lottery ticket sellers seem to be more popular. Inside, this Aladdin's cave is stocked with butchers, cheesemakers, confectioners---you name it. An enjoyable way to start the trip.
    Read more