Satellite
  • Day 66

    Drago D20- Death Road

    April 25, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    If you mention the death road to many what pops into their head is Jeremy Clarkson nearly meeting his maker as he passed another car under a waterfall with just inches before he fell into oblivion. If you google it its called the most dangerous road in the world, and certainly if you drive a car or bus down it there have been deaths as recent as 2015.

    However on a mountain bike with common sense death is very unlikey and those with bad luck come away with a fracture. We set off at 07:30 with our dutch guide of the day Robbie. An ex chef he decided a decade ago to make his hobbie his work, and joined the gravity team in La Paz. Our other guide was Will an experienced mountain biker who came 3rd in the most recent Bolivian race.

    We were geared up and were matched to our bikes according to height. We all had our bikes blessed by Paccamamma (motherearth), mine was Sunday and with a trial ride around a parking lot we set off down 22km of asphalt road first. James shot off down the road, and whilst I idled in the back for the first few km I soon found my confidence and took it at my own speed behind the boys of the group. Its an amazing feeling wizzing down a road, the wind rushing around you. Izzy and I paired up having similar confidence so we could look out for each other.

    Having had our practice it was time for the real deal. Fulled up on sandwiches we started down the gravel death road, so named after the deaths of the POW who built it. One guide was at the front and the other at the back. Every 10km or so we would stop, regroup and get a brief on what to expect on the next section.

    The death road is almost continiously downards gravel. Going from around 4200m down to 1200m altitude its 64km of awsomeness on a bike. There were narrow parts, hairpin corners, waterfalls and river crossings. The views were amazing, but only to be enjoyed at a stop unless you wanted to fly into a 800m ravine. Having never mountain biked before it was a brilliant introduction.

    At the bottom it was high fives all round as not one of us came off our bikes. Gravity was a great company, due to the combination of good instructions and good bikes we passed many of the other slower groups who looked unsteady, uncomfortable and scared on their bikes. After a round of beer we went on to a monkey sancturary for a hot shower and food before taking the new road back to La Paz.

    It must have been an amazing way for Sheila, John and Charlotte to end their trip. With a heavy heart we said goodbye as they had an early flight the next morning. We will be joined by two new people Karen and Ollie as we continue on to Copacobana tomorrow!
    Read more