Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Mt Inari & Nara

    October 3, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Another early start, this time I headed to Fushimi Inari, where thousands of Torii gates weave their way up the hillside. Hoping to beat the crowds I arrived at around 8am, but the main shrine was already getting fairly crowded. Setting off down the trail was also busy, the trail starts with a short flat circular route but then splits to lead back to the main shrine or off up Mt Inari.

    The climb to the top took around an hour, although it was a hot day you were always in the shade of the endless Torii gates. As I climbed higher the trail quietened allowing for some incredible moments where I could appreciate the trail with barely anyone around.

    Every few minutes of climbing it seemed like there would be another rest stop, and another collection of small shrines, some of these places must have had over a hundred shrines alone. Other rest stops offered amazing views over Kyoto.

    After completing the trail and returning to the main shrine I found all of the tourists buses arrived, so I retreated to my second destination.

    A short train ride away from Kyoto is Nara, a huge park filled with some magnificent shrines, however it is famed for its wildlife. The park is filled with amazingly docile deer that are not bothered by people at all, some even letting you pet them!

    You can purchase deer food - which seemed to be some kind of biscuit, at which point the deer will become much more interested in you. Many of the deer have learnt to bow if you do, before receiving their food... often this results in deer running up to you whilst rapidly nodding their heads!

    However my favourite deer was the one that had learnt to stand within one of the shrines, bowing as people queued up to feed her. I also enjoyed watching the American tourists get chased by hoards of deer after teasing them with their food.
    Read more