Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Mount Rainier

    May 10, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    After a rough migraine night (thank goodness we weren’t in a tent!), we had a slow start. By 10 am we were ready to go and head the 10m from the cabin to the park entrance.

    The road climbed through the forest 🌳 and we reached Longmire but kept going. Along the way we pulled in at various stops, taking photos and chatting with other travellers.

    It’s strange that all the US travellers can tell we’re from NZ but the British people don’t even ask 😂 I think we’ve become multilingual 😂😂😂

    The snow began to appear and then high banks were along the road side, but the road was dry and clear. Eventually, we reached Paradise where the road finished, I.e., hadn’t been ploughed past. We went in the visitor centre, looked in the shop and splashed out on a cuppa. It was clear that we won’t be walking any trails up here, too much snow ❄️.

    After a while, we headed downhill, stopping an Nerada Falls (still too much snow ❄️ to walk) and again at Longmire. We sat on the porch of the Inn and had our sandwiches, looking at the view. There’s some walks here we can do but mountain lion 🦁 was seen this morning 🫣.

    We continued our slow descent to the cabin. On return, Simon got the tent out and sprayed it with Permethrin to keep bugs away. This meant a 2 hour wait for it to dry 😴.

    Once it was packed away we headed to Ashford and looked in the shop before returning to the cabin for a relaxing evening.
    Read more