Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Juneau to Homer Spit

    June 3, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Up at 4am for our shuttle to the airport. All checked in but one of the bags was overweight so a repack was needed. We put the sandals in a different bag and all ok. The total weight stayed the same, just distributed differently.

    The flight left for anchorage at 7.30am and we landed about 9am. The luggage made it and we picked up the rental car without too much trouble.

    The same can’t be said for the bear spray if arranged to borrow. The address wasn’t right but a trip to REI and we bought some. We also stopped at Walmart and bought a supply of groceries.

    We headed towards Soldotna, stopping in Girdwood for coffee and a sandwich. We reached Soldotna and bought some camping gas and Simon got binoculars.

    The journey continued on to Homer but we stopped at an Orthodox Russian church with eagles and views over the Cook Inlet.

    Another half hour and we reached Land’s End Resort, right at the end of Homer Spit. We had decided not to camp because of the wind forecast and the gusts as we entered the lobby confirmed the decision.

    We had a small sea view room with a little deck but not cooking on the gas stove allowed. After battling the luggage trolley to get everything in we had potatoes and salad for dinner and bed.
    Read more