Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Anchorage to Brooks Camp

    June 20, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    A really early start, the alarm going off at 3.45am. We packed everything into the car and drove to the airport. We returned the rental car and then checked in for our Aleutian Airways flight to King

    We then found the baggage storage and left our spare things

    The flight to King Salmon took about an hour. When we arrived, we were met by a Katmai Air representative who transferred us to the float plane depot. We checked in again, including being weighed for the second time today, and after a short wait we boarded the float plane. The flight from King Salmon to Brooks camp was about 20 minutes.

    We landed and clambered out of the plane onto the beach. We were sent straight to bear school, where we watched a video about how to behave around the bears.

    We then checked in for our campsite and went to put up the tent. Once everything was sorted, we walked to the falls platform and looked at the view. Suddenly a female m, 909, and 2 cubs appeared on the opposite bank. They looked around for a while and the climbed down the bank and crossed the river, swimming right towards us. They came and ate grass right under the platform where we were standing and we watched them until they walked off into the bush.

    We then went back to the campground and had noodles for lunch.

    After lunch we sat and watched the fishermen for a while and then went into the lodge to avoid the light rain.

    We spent the rest of the evening relaxing at the campground.
    Read more