Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 253

    Johor Bahru to Singapore

    January 5 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    After not a great night’s sleep, we had not a great breakfast. Our last hotel breakfast of the trip.

    Our grab came quickly and dropped us at the train station. We followed the signs to Woodlands, the Singapore side of the crossing. We reached a point where we had to ask for directions only to find we were in completely the wrong place. Not normally a major issue, except this time we had cleared Malaysian immigration. We were‘escorted’ to a customs office where we handed over our passports and an official checked us back into Malaysia and directed us on our way. We walked all the way back where we had come from and found a tiny sign saying to Singapore.

    Eventually the gate opened and we went through immigration to wait for the train. When it arrived we all scrambled on board for the 5 minute journey across the strait to Singapore.

    At the other side we got off and went through Singapore immigration and customs before exiting the station. After being told to get off a bus and walk, we managed to find a bus that would take us to the MRT station. It turned out to be a long way and walked wasn’t really an option, despite the rude bus driver’s advice.

    We found the north south line and caught the train to city hall station. We then walked a short distance to the Peninsula Excelsior hotel where, unusually, they let us check in early.

    After a cuppa, we went downstairs to the shopping mall and stuffed our faces with the first salad since we left Japan!

    We then caught the train to Chinatown and walked round before coming back to the hotel to cool off and relax.

    In the evening we walked to the sunset and bought salad, bread and reduced price Stilton for dinner.
    Read more