Satellite
  • Day 79

    We're in Thailand!!

    November 15, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    We just got to Chiang Mai, in the north of Thailand, yesterday morning at 6:30 am. We were so jet lagged, that we fell asleep a few hours after we got settled into our new teak house, and when we woke up, we thought it was the next morning, even though it was only 3:00 in the afternoon! Afterwards, we went exploring around our neighbourhood, and discovered a day market selling clothes, shoes and Thai food/sweets. For dinner last night, Malcolm and I had pork satay and rice, and my parents had green curry chicken soup, and chili cashew chicken (Dale had a peanut butter sandwich, of course!). When we went to sleep for real, every single one of us woke up at 1:30 in the morning, because we were still so jet lagged. I ended up getting out of bed at 11:00 am. Then we went out for a snack and card game at a local bakery, and on the way home we stopped at a Thai restaurant, and had rice, chicken pad Thai, and spicy pork with basil. The whole meal only cost 130 Thai baht, equivalent to 5$ Canadian! We live in a teak house, which is an old wooden house, where only the living room, bedrooms, and one of the bathrooms are inside. The rest of the house is outdoors. I only have one pair of shorts out of three, that apparently aren’t too short to wear in Thailand, and only two t-shirts out of five, that cover my shoulders enough. The bad things here, are that we have no washing machine, or dishwasher, but it might be okay, because there’s a laundromat around the corner, and my guess is that we won’t be doing many dishes anyways. I don’t think we’ll be eating at home very often, because getting groceries is more expensive than eating at restaurants here! The temperature here is 33 degrees C outside right now, so that means most of our house is hot. A few yeas ago, someone turned this original teak house into a bar, but it closed down because it’s across the street from a temple! Now it is a house again! All the cars and motorbikes drive on the other side of the road, which can be annoying for me because it’s not what I’m used to.
    Chloë
    Read more