Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Matara, Talllala and Beach Hopping.

    December 29, 2018 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Day 57 & 58.

    With our little green Tuk Tuk the south coast was ours to explore, which meant discovering as many beaches as possible, and rating them accordingly of course..

    After a ropey start, occassionaly driving with handbrake fully on and a little help from the locals we were now much more confident driving our tuktuk, small beach roads, hills, reversing, you name it - no problem!

    Limbster was a top co driver with directions only rarely slipping up albeit nearly causing a pile up with one small turning error when she did ;)

    Beaches were amazing, we headed back toward to Tangalle hopping from cove to cove, swimming and trying to avoid that midday sun! Tried to get more mahi mahi but one hour too early for lunch - darn!

    Matara itself was gorgeous for sunset, but spent most of our time in this town hunting for food, which was far and few between - opted for service station like Kothu (Ellie was hangry here) and another round of Kraft and crackers - becoming a real Sri Lanka fave now.

    Back to Hiriketiya to drop off the tuktuk (very sad but it will not be our last) definitely the best way to get around. One last dip and then a quick escape before I found out I've burnt the clutch out and they need me to pay for a new handbrake.

    Today Ellie had ice cream 21 - given we've only been here two weeks that's a feat worth noting.

    Top 3 Beaches.

    Tangalle
    Goyambokka
    Tallalla
    Read more