Satellite
  • Day 72

    Sigiriya Rock

    January 12, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    Day 71 & 72.

    3 buses today, but all relatively smooth with seats secured. Limbster pulled out her best haggling skills (which until now must have been dormant) and landed us at her parents hotel. We were hosted by a small eccentric looking Sri Lankan man with a bad tendency to linger (but lovely all the same) and his rather intimidating wife.

    We were up at 4.45am and greeted with a coffee at the door from Paul, I could get used to this. It was time to head up Pigarula rock to catch the sunrise over Sigiriya rock, Percy treated us to a ride to save us the walk and we headed up the steps. It was a difficult climb but as a four we made it up in good time, sadly the same could not be said for sunrise.

    Great views all the same and no injuries which was certainly a win. Told Ellie's parents they should check out Adams Peak next, think they're keen.

    Down the rock in time for breakfast, captain linger served up some local cuisine, can't recall exactly what we ate but think it was dry, served with dry, topped with a little coconut sambol, which was dry. Good coffee though.

    Today we parted ways grabbed some bikes and went out exploring, some great lake swimming with views of the rocks. Unplanned days out together are certainly the best of the trip and this one was one of them! To top the days activities off it was back up the rock for sunset, second time lucky and the views were beautiful.

    Last night with the parents until colombo and we enjoyed some lovely drinks down at the treehouse, followed by you guessed it - curry and rice. So so so full again, think this over eating needs to stop soon but tonight was not the night to start. Few more Krakens courtesy of Paul and Diane whilst watching the fire flies then it was time we hit the hay.

    Top tip - Watch out for bus riding whiskey drinking men who have a tendency to undress whilst making direct eye contact. Alternatively just start giving Ellie the dam isle seat.

    P.s Limbster has become athletic overnight and I think it's a great look.
    Read more