Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Trincomalee

    January 15, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Day 75 & 76.

    Quick bus today albeit the ride was an absolute rollercoaster, gorgeous views through the national park on our way out East - when we weren't focusing on holding on for dear life.

    Date night tonight, lots of rum drunk followed by langoustines (huge) & fries with ACTUAL pasta for dinner whipped up by 3 lovely local brothers (who had also been to Italy to train up their pasta skills). Best value food we've had and a welcome break from the rice n curry!

    Tuk Tuk driver knew the hotel today, being a whole 5km away my jaw nearly hit the floor, couldn't bloody believe it. Should be named Sri Lankan Tuk Tuk driver of the year..

    Hired some bikes to explore town, out of season and so barely a tourist to be seen! Added to the experience of this being one of our favourite places, wild dear roaming the roads, windy village streets lined with markets & temples, topped off with beautiful empty beaches.

    The Tamil people were also celebrating their new year whilst we were here, lots of celebrations and drumming into the night, think a few of the local elders may have consumed slightly too much Arrack however which left me fending off more drunken chats than I would have preferred.

    We however had further reason to celebrate as not only was our White cabana review published today (which we relished in 're reading) but we also booked our flight to India for 1 weeks time!!! Time to start planning.

    Top tip - Wouldn't recommend Trincomalee for a hair cut / beard trim. Far too much attention being paid to the Bollywood action movie than the razor sharp blade held to my neck, but what can you expect for £2.
    Read more