Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 441

    San José / Turrialba

    January 16, 2020 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Day 441.

    Crossing into San Jose would be our 4th land border crossing since we arrived in Central America, and it certainly was the smoothest. First we parted with the standard arbitrary sum of 3 dollars to Nicaraguan officials in order to collect our exit stamp.

    Next we managed to change our remaining cash with a trustworthy looking bloke at the border carrying wads of cash - all types and colours, got a surprisingly good deal all things considered just need to adjust to Costa Rican Colones, 720 to the pound.

    After observing a number of individuals heading suspiciously into the jungle whilst we strolled through 'no man's land' it was no surprise to see our first arrest a few minutes later by the Costa Rican border patrol.

    It had already been a long morning, leaving Ometepe at 5am, so far taking a ferry, a very long standing bus (which didn't settle my stomach one bit) followed by two more chicken buses. But we had made the border in good time and now it was just a mere 6 hours to the capital of San Jose. Fortunately a slightly dodgy looking fella was on hand to sell me some lunch, pre cooked fried chicken - of which he had 20 portions, plated up and slightly moist in a plastic bag ready to sell through the bus window...

    Taken by surprise with the beauty of Costa Rica on the drive in, nothing but green lushous mountain side and jungle, barely a town in sight the entire journey, simply amazing scenery - Limbsters eyes were glued to the window the whole way.

    Have to admit the americanization of San Jose was a little slice of luxury for us. After weeks of rice and beans we delved right into the fast food options. A KFC and McDonald's on literally every corner made it hard to avoid. After realising we would be heading into the jungle for the following 3 weeks it didn't take long to persuade ourselves for the pepperoni pizza either!

    Small backpacks packed and warm items safely stored away we boarded a bus to begin our journey deep into the jungle.
    Read more