Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 460

    Santiago, Chile

    4. februar 2020, Chile ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Day 460.

    After a few hours sleep in the airport we made the journey across town to our first hostel in South America. After all this time we had finally made it to our ultimate destination!

    Some debate over where to choose a hostel, safe to say I didn't smash the booking (ruining the rare chance I had at influencing accomodation selection going forward). Our box room with the bunk beds instead of a spacious private wasn't actually the worst part - selecting a location smack bang in the middle of the riots probably was. And it didn't take long to get stuck right in the middle of them too - the tear gas was an added extra, albeit an unoptional one and boy did it burn!!

    Once the crowds (and gas) died down we built up the confidence to venture back out to see this city at night. Like kids in a candy shop here - top notch food from around the world for bargain prices. Therefore determined to try it all we dived in to Indians, Chiliean hog roasts, pad thais, giant empanadas- you name it, its here and incredible. It seems the excitement has gone to our head and we may have got carried away slightly - every night is date night now. Due to the large selection of food we didn't get to sample the numerous fried chicken and chips from a trolley stalls - they'll have to wait until next time.

    Went to the history of Chile human rights museum - Spanish has slipped so didn't understand a thing. Spent the saved time trawling thrift shops (like we need more things..) absolute gold mine for me - 4 new jazzy shirts, like my xmas and birthday all come at once.

    Santiago for us was all about pre patagonia planning and less on sightseeing. Therefore we didn't waste any time hunting down a decathlon to stock up on all much needed trekking supplies. Two hours later and our bank accounts a lot lighter we had everything we needed. Limbster is now an offical representative of decathlon too and decked head to toe accordingly.

    Final night before venturing into the biggest wilderness on earth, so we had to try the local infamous Torremoto (or earthquake in English) - a cocktail found at a local Mariachi style bar nearby. It goes something like this (as I recall) a pint of warm white wine, a large helping of pineapple sorbet topped with melon liqeur - all mixed in there together. Safe to say limbsters eyes were gone half way through her first cup. Managed to make it back to the hostel without keeling over - success I would say.
    Les mer