Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 457

    Cahuita

    February 1, 2020 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Day 457.

    For the first time on this adventure we had made it to the carribean sea (a first for me at least!). Feeling fresh and excited to explore on the back of the workaway we had arrived by bus to Cahuita - and the carribean influence was quickly apparent!

    Suddenly, the likeness in people to the western world disappeared, and the rasta like vibe of the carribean was all around us - and we loved it. Brightly coloured wooden houses, rice N beans and porches perched right on the idylic carribean sea made it even more special.

    Before setting out to explore however we needed to get some admin done - more specifically we are flying to Patagonia in 3 days time, the world's biggest wilderness and have completed all of zero research. Stocked up on rare treats after the river - wine and beer to be specific and dived right into a sesh of blogs, trail maps and YouTube videos on how to change a tyre, a skill that embarrasingly we should have aquired a long time ago.

    Reseach complete we ventured into one of Costa Ricas national parks just next door. This really was like stepping into jurassic Park, swarming with wildlife, thick jungle trails leading to empty palm tree lined beaches - paradise. Being first into the huge park meant we had the place to ourselves - this also had its disadvantages - most crucially being that there was nobody to forewarn us regarding the poisonous snakes lying in wait of our trail!

    Top tip for the future - once dodging danger once don't go proviking the parks most dangerous illuminous yellow snake with a stick (correct term being the yellow eyelash pit viper) - its never worth the photo.

    It wasn't all danger however - and entertainment was plentiful, crab eating raccoons being a real highlight. Not sure Ellie knew what a racoon was before her first sighting. And was certainly perplexed to see one digging through a coconut when we turned the corner! Whittled away a surprising amount of tine observing the envious monkeys hovering over those raccoons just waiting for their go on the fallen fruit.

    Not quite settled with the abundance of wildlife already we had our heart set on spotting more sloths - and we didn't stop looking in those towering jungle trees - but this time it was to no avail and the illusive sloth escaped us.

    Beginning to see a snippet of the expensive Costa Rica here that all backpackers complain off - supermarket shop for two loafs of bread, pack of mayonnaise, spreadable cheese coming to a staggering $16!! Given this would be $5 just across the border this was a big increase!

    All sunned out we made the most of our motel like hostel on our final night - the flat screen TV a real treat, it didn't quite stretch to aircon however and so the carribean heat meant for a rather clammy evening!

    After 3 weeks it was time to say goodbye to Costa Rica and all the amazing wildife that comes with it - its South America time!
    Read more