Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 484

    Volcan Osorno - Farewell..

    February 28, 2020 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Day 484.

    And so the time had come, our final stop with jengibre on this Patagonian adventure. Up early with a lakeside breaky to get us going, cabbage pains as prominent as ever - will it ever end?

    Today we headed to volcan osorno with no expectations, little did we know it would be our most amazing wild camping spot to date. Couldn't resist the temptation today to pop into a local honey maker - I wasn't allowed to purchase a full size pot of course, but after an ample tasting session limbster let me off with a bite size version for breaky the next day, a treat indeed.

    Toured mirador after mirador, escaping bees when necessary (limbster espesh) until we arrived at the end of the road, and a giant lake, with huge snowy volcan osorno as the back drop!

    After yet another empanada (what else) it was time to relax, limbster feeling particularly out of character opted for an afternoon nap in the camper, leaving me to my own devices on the beach, not always the best idea...

    Both of us struggling & so weren't quite up to trek today, instead opting for the luxury version - a sightseeing boat trip, win. The boat had benefits twofold - not only becoming the best flag shot to date but giving my shorts a good old clean with a particularly refreshing lake swim.

    Super dissapointed in jengibre today, only gone and let us down with the broken door one day before hand in day, very sad times - praying for improvement mañana.

    After admiring the volcano all day long we decided we would head to the top to sleep that evening. It was certainly a struggle to do so however - mile aftee mile of climbing in the camper, rarely changing out from 1st gear to make the steep climb. After an hour of incredible views on the drive we reached the top - or as close as we'd be going without an ice pick or two!

    With visitors only making it up this far in the day we were left all alone for the night, above the clouds & right on the edge of the volcano - a fitting way to see out our 3 weeks in patagonia. Most incredible sunset to date too, preparing our favourite garlic chilli pasta (despite the chilling winds that were rolling in) and forcing down the remaining vino blanco - it would have been criminal not too after all. Same sadly couldn't however be said for the red.

    Our final day was met with mixed emotions, on one hand we would miss camper life a lot & the independence that comes with it, on the other we were would be shortly getting the entirety of our belongings put through the laundry, an exciting prospect indeed - limbster particularly seemed over the moon about this!

    It was goodbye to Chile (for now) and hello again Argentina come the next morning!
    Read more