Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 502

    Buenos Aires - Pre Quarantine..

    March 17, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Day 502.

    We had high hopes for Buenos Aires and it certainly a lot to live up to. The common saying to sum up BA is 'Italian people, speaking spanish, acting English whilst living in Paris'' and it certainly couldn't have been any truer here. Slightly overwhelmed with the size and opportunities in this city limbster set to work with a plan, and left Rio de Janiero to me (this would ultimately become sadly redundant).

    She certainly came through however, landing us in a hostel in the area of San Telmo, cobblestoned lanes, street art of every corner and incredible food markets - this was our kind of place. Live tango was never more than a stones throw away and we wasted no time pulling up a chair in Plaza Delgado to catch our first dance.

    At the best of times our days revolve around food - but this couldn't have been more true here. It didn't take long to sample the cities best Empanadas, carne, humita and queso and all fresh out of the oven, before diving into a few dulche de leche filled alfojes.

    We realised once again that hostel life is no longer the life for us and moved our bags around the corner to a private room with terrace facing out onto the main roads of San Telmo - air con and netflix was also a welcome treat on those rainy city days to come.

    Keen to not miss any local experiences whilst here we picked ourselves up a bag of matte tea, a matte cup and a filtered straw. Anywhere you look on the streets of Argentina you will see argentinians drinking matte tea, a shared drink that requires one matte cup, plenty of tea and a flask full of hot water. Long wanting to try we finally had our chance one sunny afternoon. Limbster couldn't quite handle the refined taste and it was left for me to do it justice - and it went down a treat!

    Our most anticipated visit was to the area known as La Boca, or downtown - the old immigrant area of Argentina and thus the most colourful and vibrant. It was also the home of Boca juniors and tango dancing which meant for quite the atmosphere, dancing in every bar and street food was plentiful. We arrived early to capture some snaps of the awesome town before it all really kicked off, indulged in some fine churri pan and got some close up live tango action - quite the day.

    A limbster city tour wouldn't be complete without some hidden gems or DIY experiences however.. And so we headed out on a comic book strip tour of famous Argentinan characters plus a street art hunt (my fave) in the arty palmero region whilst battling the crazy heat, if only limbster had pulled off the sassy frida pose for the finale and it would have been the icing on the cake!

    It wasn't all to be smooth sailing here however and with events changing by the day things where about to take a slightly less pleasant turn.....
    Read more