Satellite
  • Day 1

    Outbound

    February 1, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    So...here we are at Heathrow waiting to board our flight to Aus. Ahead of us a 38 day trip starting in Perth in the west and finishing in Tasmania in the South. In between we have trips planned to Canberra and a road trip down the south east coast from Bermagui to Melbourne. The start and finish of the trip should be largely unaffected by the bushfires but we will need to keep an eye on the situation in Canberra and the coast road which is currently closed. Whilst I don't want to seem like a car crash voyeur it will be interesting to see the effects of the fires and to support the communities by helping to bring some sort of normality back to their lives.

    Stayed at the Hilton Garden Hotel in Terminal 2 last night. Really excellent and very quiet given its proximity to both roads and runways. Spent a nice couple of hours watching the planes land every 40 to 60 seconds from the Runway bar on the 14th floor. Check in was quick, the only slight delay was in security as the guy in front of us "forgot" to take his Swiss Army Knife out of his hand luggage.

    Looking forward to some sunshine. Not long to go now so as David Gray said " see you on the other side..."
    Read more