Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Arrival in Fremantle

    February 2, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Good flight, took 16.5 hrs but with the help of a few good movies, a box set and regular food, time passed pretty quickly and we arrived in Perth to blue skies, sun and temperatures of 35 degrees. Immigration and baggage was very efficient and as soon as I turned my phone on I had a message to say our taxi driver was waiting outside, so in less than an hour from landing we were off to Fremantle.
    Fremantle is an historic port and dock area built in the Colonial style and was one of the first ports of call for the convict ships in the 1850s. We checked in and showered and went straight out to suss out the local area with the idea of staying up as long as possible to try and beat the jet lag (+8 hrs). Within 5 minutes we had found Bathers Beach, a small stretch of sand sandwiched between the docks and the Marina. It had a nice atmosphere and was surrounded by numerous bars and restaurants with seafood very much to the fore. Had a walk round and found a small statue to Bon Scott the lead singer of rock band AC/DC who came over to Fremantle with his family from Scotland in the 1950s. We settled in at the Bathers Beach Bar and celebrated our arrival with some sparkling Aussie wine. Then back to the hotel to crash. A great start to the holiday.
    Read more