Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Canberra - a change of scene

    February 12, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Despite the 3hr time difference we were up quite early. Lisa and Dave's apartment is in a trendy waterside development close to bars and restaurants. The weather is not as bad as I expected, definitely cooler and slightly overcast but dry so we took a short walk first thing around the development. Had a cup of coffee and looked over some local information on what we might like to do over the next couple of days. Lisa and Dave got back about 12.30 and we went for a quick tour. We stopped initially at the National Museum and had some lunch and then on to the Botanical Gardens. We had a walk around. Much of the area had been damaged during a recent severe hailstorm. Trees shrubs and greenhouses took a battering so it wasn't looking at it's best. Staff were still clearing up. It was interesting to see the Eucalyptus trees which shed their bark throughout their lifetime. The bark is rich in oil and is easy to burn. This is one reason why the bushfires can spread so quickly and over such distances. The Eucalyptus bark acts like an oil lamp or torch blown by strong winds and landing on tinder dry grass and twigs in bushland which has not seen rain for nearly two years. The good news is that the recent rains have extinguished the majority of fires, we have seen no sign on our trip so far, however there are still some smouldering hot spots with fire fighters being dropped by helicopter into remote areas to put them out.
    We finished up at a local bar for a couple of beers and then on to an Italian for Pasta and Pizza and some nice red wine. Had nightcap and earlyish night as L&D at work next morning.
    Read more