Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Hobart to Cradle Mountain

    March 2, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Today is Dave's Birthday. We checked out and went and had some breakfast at a nice bakery, picked because of the quality of the cakes. We chose three cakes and did our best to hide them away in the fridge in the car without Dave knowing. Did a bit of shopping as we were not sure what would be available at Cradle Mountain. We took a tourist route which took us past a couple of huge lakes / reservoirs used to feed the areas Hydro Electric plant. We stopped at Delaraine for lunch, a small town where everyone seemed to know everyone else. We had lunch in the Deli which was very good. We carried on to Cradle Mountain with the temperature dropping the closer we got. By the time we arrived it had dropped to 7 degrees the same temperature as Haverfordwest!!
    Cradle Mountain Wilderness Retreat is a development of small alpine chalets set in a huge National Park. There is a main reception with a bar and restaurant, so not quite the wilderness but very peaceful nonetheless. We stayed in and had sausage and beans on toast and played some cards. Steady night as big walk planned for tomorrow.
    Read more