Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    St Gilles and then back to ile d'yeu

    July 17, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    How's things? We are suffering from the heat reached 41 today and breeze died off completely. I hope everyone is well and enjoying summer. So to recap on our travels on the 13th we went to St Gilles Croix de Vie and stayed 3nights was only going to be 2 but John got man flu. 13th was Thursday, day we arrived, ferries don't slow down just because there are boats using the entrance am glad we are big and heavy. We had a wander around and did some more supermarket shopping and drank coffee as you do in france. Friday we did a little more wandering but John very rough so not much. The wandering was to buy drugs. that said we were sat in centre of town eating ice-cream, good for colds and sore throats apparently, when we were interrupted by Chris and Lesley and their 2sons. About 6years ago they worked over in Herm while John was there but then upped sticks and moved to France. When we met them they were on their way home to Roch sur Yon from a short vacation at St Jean de Mont. We had a chat then John crashed out and i walked to Grand Plage to check out options for the Bastille Day fireworks later on. That reminds me marina gives you croissants in the mornings, cant be bad. Sadly John so rough he went to bed so I watched fireworks on my own😥, they were stunning. On Saturday John stayed in bed, I did a run in morning, and went to market for fruit. Then in afternoon went to shopping mall to waste time, took a bike ride to get there, and bought clothes I didn't really need. Then I baked, yes that's how bored I got, I made rolls, cookies, panna cotta and even hard boiled some eggs. John was feeling better when the cookies came out the oven and decided they were very good.
    On Sunday we returned to ile d'yeu and anchored at Port meule we wasted 2days doing very little as just too hot. We had already cycled around island so had seen the sights I did some swimming John had a dip on Monday. Anchor light bulb has blown so that is now on the to do list.
    Attached is night photo from our mooring in St Gilles, if you know the place we were a little way down river of the bridge and carousel opposite the funfair hence the lights, also photos of harbour as we left and of Port Meule anchorage.
    Read more