Satellite
  • Day 116

    Royan and Cognac

    August 9, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We arrived in Royan on Monday we had had to get up at 6:30 so John could have breakfast before we left St Denis, any later than 7:30 and we might have grounded on our way out. First 30mins or so wasn't good wind against tide, but once we got round the Chassiron headland on the North of Ile d'Oleron it was a much smoother trip, we used sails to assist and arrived just North of Gironde river estuary by 12:30. We had hoped to anchor off beach for lunch but there was a French fishing boat hauling in trots and it look like he was going to haul through us if necessary. So we upped anchor to move into estuary. We thought pilot book was kidding about the amount of time to allow, but we had to go out wide to clear the sandbanks and then it took a further 2hours to reach Royan. So into Port about 4:00.
    Welcome wasn't the most effusive we have received and they seemed bemused that we wanted 4 nights and initially I thought we were going to have to move on. But they found us a mooring eventually but we think it is normally used by something smaller. there are few foreign visiting boats we've only seen 2 others but quiet a few english and irish accents in town
    On Monday there was only time for a short walk around town. Its new, the original city destroyed by RAF in WW2. Tuesday we went shopping both supermarket and market, managing to dodge worst of showers, we also visited cathedral and booked trip to Cognac by train with tasting. That's what we have been doing today, Wednesday, Cognac town is old and full of character. Our tour was at Chateau de Cognac, Baron Otard Cognac the tour was very interesting the Chateau was great but cognac is still horrible. Tomorrow will be a little more shopping and a cycle east along coast then Friday we will set off for Spain. The firing range is inactive until 28 august and forecasted wind slight so although it will take about 24hours should be pleasant enough. Viva Espana.
    Read more