Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 348

    Pepe Moreno Museum in El Ejido

    March 29, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌫 13 °C

    Hello again, well after a couple of lovely sunny calm days the wind in back.
    On Monday we did manage to go to the car museum it was pretty impressive there were 65 cars, 60 motorbikes and loads of other things as well. Here are some of the photos including one of the exterior of the museum, which has a workshop and painting/drying room and parts storeroom underneath the bit you can see in the photo. The front has been built to look like a mansion but is really only a facade with a big hangar type store room behind that. The bathroom might be functional but looked kind of cool so that’s why there is a photo of that.
    In the process of being restored there was a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car and a WW1 Italian tractor/tank. In the museum proper were cars used in an Indiana Jones film, and a Mafia based film. The vehicles can also be hired out for events weddings etc. Apparently the museum etc is now self supporting visitors donate approx E5pp for a visit, during which you get a personal,guided tour from Pepe followed by wine and tapas, the wine is from his families vineyards near Granada. The tapas is served in a little Bodega at the back of the main museum and contains goat skins an old olive press and old wine casks.
    We did do a little work on the boat as well on Monday and a full day on Tuesday, and Wednesday we have sanded and pre coated the cockpit now and prepared the mast ready for the new rigging which will go on when we receive the screws sent by Michelle, thanks again, we could have bought some here but we’re not sure of the quality as and they are going to hold the new track to the boom we decided we needed something we knew. So when the wind eases again we need a second pre coat and then top coat as well as to renew the secaflex this should keep us busy.
    Our pet sitting duties start on Saturday when I will introduce you all to Santos a Norwegian Labrador collie cross that we are looking after for a few days while the owners do some hard sailing to Vigo, (just above Portugal on the Atlantic coast of Spain) he is a lovely soppy thing but I’m not sure what his English is like though it’s probably better than my Norwegian I admit, perhaps we can communicate in Spanish. We are unlikely to do the official walk this week as it is probably a bit much to ask someone to have a dog in their car, but we will wonder to the meeting point just in case, but if not we will walk West along the promenade perhaps as far as the Castle and the views of Balerma. The local animal charity are also having a fun day at one of the local bars Leo’s with competitions and tombola we might dress up Santos! Don’t worry I am not being cruel he is used to various outfits as before he moved to Spain he was a Mountain dog and had he own sort of ski suit to keep the snow off and goggles, then when he moved south he had a cool suit (temperature not style) so he could go out in summer without overheating. So a Tshirt and silly hat should be fine for him.
    Due to the wind today I have made Tiramisu and carrot cake as well as roasted vegetables and pork stew!

    So the latest on the tooth saga the reason we are still here in Almerimar when we had planned to leave the beginning of March, I was hoping to get the temporary crown replaced, the original cracked in Dec the Guernsey dentist told me, so in Spain I got the damaged one removed and a temporary one fitted and then tried to find out which abutments I needed to connect the new crown to the old implant. Sorted this and sent the Spanish dentist the info received email confirmation of receipt and incorrectly assumed that he was sorting things out. Followed up with them to be told they needed to know what abutments to order so again referred them back to the email when they said ‘oh yes any abutment on any implant’ but the ordering and paying the supplier took over 2weeks although I paid them immediately! There was no sense or urgency although I said from the beginning that I needed things sorted as quickly as possible.
    We have now decided that when the dentist reopens, oh yes I forgot to say that the parts have arrived I tracked them myself after contacting the UK supplier, they have closed although they told me they were open over Easter, we will just collect the parts and get the work done in the future, somewhere else, perhaps next winter, I can’t stand waiting around a minimum of another 2weeks and the dentist said it would take 10days for the crown to be made which, so we are told, could mean anything up to 20days. The temporary crown hasn’t caused any problems since it was fitted in Jan so no reason to assume it will. The dentist here is good but everything takes so long. Of course if extended forecast is rubbish this may all change but even 1good day would allow to move another 50miles in the right direction.
    Anyway I will be in touch again soon, hope you all have a good Easter break.
    Read more