Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 431

    Gallipoli

    June 20, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    So after leaving Castella nice an early, we would have been even earlier but spent some time looking for the Lega Navale office so could leave details and money, only to return to the boat to see guy waiting with receipt book. We then had to try to explain that we had left money in the office post box we think he got it as he did give us a receipt. We headed to Cirò Marina which had had read should have room for a couple of tourist boats in amongst the trawlers and the officials were supposedly very helpful. On arrival a local boat did dash up to us when we were getting a little close to some submerged rocks which we thought boded well. As evening set in we mooched into the marina, there was no one official around but we found what appeared to be an unclaimed spot on the quay and waited to be moved on. Fortunately no one else wanted the spot and no officials turned up despite the boat being passed by most of the fishermen and their mates which we decided was good news. The next morning there was a market so we had a look round as you do then headed into town proper in search of a Gluten free bread for John. We didn’t find the bread but did get some provisions so back on board to unpack before trying again a couple of farmacias did stock GF food but no brown bread, but through perseverance and sweat (it was very warm) we found some eventually. On our way back we tried a couple of the cafes that had been open earlier as it was about 13:30 so we thought lunch would be good but bizarrely the cafes/restaurants were all closed for lunch!
    The next day was long we had a 59 mile trip (10hours) across the bay of Taranto to Gallipoli, yet again my sea legs let me down🤢so after 2hours it was over to John while a curled up and felt very very sorry for myself, I surfaced about 2 hours from Gallipoli at which point it dawned on John that our plotter doesn’t have the eastern Med on it, Wally, we did to rectify this by buying the SD card asap.🤪 Luckily the Navionics app on the iPod covers the whole of the Med so we can use this in interim. Anyway we got into the Gallipoli marina OK though it took a while for anyone to acknowledge we were there and after booking in and showering, (It was so nice to have a proper shower and feel really clean) we walked into the old town, with everyone else, taking part in the evening promenade, for some tea. I had a type of pasta specific to the area John had a mixed grill!
    Read more