Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 443

    Pagania, mainland Greece

    July 2, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    OK so I spoke too soon the SD card we picked up was a C-Map 4D even though we had told the lady in the shop that our Furuno chart plotter would only take NT, NT+, and Max. We think that that’s what she told the engineer but either he didn’t believe her or thought there was no way anyone would have anything that old! We don’t know but we paid for it and brought it on board to try but as expected the chart plotter panicked and didn’t get off the opening page. I called and told the store that the card was no good and could they get the one we had asked for and given them the number of, the lady wouldn’t confirm over the phone she just wanted us to go in again the next morning. We did and then had to come back to boat to get existing chip and operators manual to confirm that what we had asked for was what we needed. Great! So anyway we now have to wait till Wednesday (the 4th) to get the card hopefully the right one this time. We were originally told Tuesday but hey this is Greek time so no surprise that’s it’s a day later. We also got to experience the Greek postal system, it would appear that only post offices can sell stamps so we managed to find a post office and we were the only ones who actually wanted to post anything others were paying bills, collecting money and other things that took ages with obviously only 2staff working and queue almost out the door. William your birthday present is on its way but I really have no idea when it will arrive.
    Well rather than stay on the anchorage which was getting crowded as apparently lots of boats have to move out of the marina for Fri Sat Sun as that’s the change over dates for the charter boat companies and the marina needs all the berths, we decided to go across to the mainland. We found this lovely little very protected bay a dog leg where the noisiest things were the cicadas and the cows, the only habitation was a farm though we had had to dodge a fair few fish farms to get into the bay. We had to navigate there, the old fashioned way with a paper chart, fortunately it was day light and clear so we were fine. Sorry no photos of anchorage was too busy relaxing but I have attached some scenery ones and one of me drinking the blue wine we bought back in Almerimar, yes blue!
    We are now back at Gouvia anchorage as like I said we were told Tuesday but now it’s Wednesday hopefully.
    Read more