Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 528

    Symi

    September 25, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We are as the post name suggests now in Symi yet again the forecast determined our choice of destination and from the looks of the harbour today it has also affected a lot of other boats choices too. Our departure from Nisiros went smoothly but prior to leaving we noticed some little black pellets and nibbled fruit, it looked like we had picked up a house guest with a squeak. John managed to buy some ‘mouse glue’, there were no traps. So after cleaning everywhere and putting all food in tubs we left Nisiros and that night after a pleasant cruise not far off the Turkish coast we set out our glue trap with chocolate and plum at its centre, no joy, but no more evidence of boat guests either. I have now also checked all the cupboards and draws that contain clothes towels bedding etc and no nests so maybe the guest didn’t stay. We forgot today but will buy a trap tomorrow in Symi town.
    We took the dinghy in today using the motor as it’s quite a distance from the anchorage we are in into town and after walking up to the top of the town to look at the alternative anchorage of Pethi and the churches and chapels in the ruined castle grounds we started back down the winding steps and paths, when John said ‘it can’t be but that looks like an Aquastar’. So back into town and along the water front and what do we see but a Guernsey registered Aquastar owner Rob Platts! So we had a drink and a chat, it was lovely to catch up with Rob and Ros whom we had last seen at the 10 year MS memorial of the London to Paris row.
    After the anchorage to the north of Syria town we took the boat around to Pethi for a night or two where I did a nice long swim.
    Read more