Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 545

    Samos, Pithagorio

    October 12, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Well the trip North was a bit unpleasant fortunately we were headed straight into it so only nodding dog action no swaying side to side, I was still very pleased to see the harbour. We anchored off the beach for a couple of nights before moving onto the Town quay, we moved because we had booked on to a tour of the Eupalinus’ tunnel at 8:30 in the morning the only time slot available and we needed to ride there. Pithagorio is yet another lovely town it is touristy and in season is probably unbearable but now it’s quiet lots of locals still around but businesses are cleaning and tidying prior to closing for the winter. We have been active since we arrived riding to Samos town, only because iPad lied and told us it was a 5mile ride it was actually 14.5km and most of it was up on the way there. Samos Town is not attractive but we were able to buy a new float switch for the shower pump and a loaf of GF bread for John. On the way back we walked up through the winding alleys of Vathi the old town of Samos which was a lot more attractive but steep before a fairly easy ride down to Pithagorio. We have also visited the Castle, Church and ruins here in Pithagorio as well as riding to the remains of Hera’s Temple to the West, not much to see there although in its day largest temple in Greece apparently.
    Today after our walk along the famous tunnel photos on next post, we decided rather than just walk back along the tunnel we would first try to walk to the spring source, fail, and then take the land route around back to the tunnel entrance. We achieved this but had to walk through a front yard of a fortunately empty home. We also decided we had to visit the stone tower but did we use the official route no we decided to find our own so a number of scratches and scrapes later we made it to the tower.
    Read more