Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 554

    Trip to Paros

    October 21, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We haven’t been in touch as data credit low so only posting when in cafes! Well the forecast for leaving Patmos was good and so was the trip initially but once we left the extensive shelter of the island it was yet again very folly. The wind should have been behind us but the waves were beam on, not great. We arrived in Levitha early afternoon, this is the same island we used on our way East but we arrived in the dark and had to leave early the next day to avoid a storm. We were the first yacht to arrive and chose our bobber, later on there were 10 other yachts on moorings, as per pilot book, local guy came out to collect mooring fees and ask if we would be eating at his taverna. We weren’t sure there had been was very good and very bad reports on captains mate forum. We took a walk on the island and ended up at the ‘taverna’ the guys house. He farms goats and sheep and makes associated products as well as a market garden for taverna and growing crop for sheep to eat, it all looked really nice so after a chat about life on the island, while we waited for other yachties to arrive, we stopped for Greek salad and lamb stew it was delicious. The island has been in his family for 8 generations and although a hard life he enjoys it only issue is that now kids are school age they and mother live off island during term time, but on the island are the guys parents and his brother as well as randomly 2 Pakistani workers (well that’s where they said they were from!).
    From Levitha to a bay on the North coast of Amorgos in the lea of a large uninhabited island, and yes it was very sheltered, crossing better as I could see our goal so could steer for a lot of journey. The channel between the islands southern tip and the mainland was a bit shallow 8foot at one point. It was a shame it was overcast here, it looked like it might rain, as I think in the sunshine it would be stunning turquoise water golden sand going to sleep to the gentle sound of goats bells.
    Next day we moved on again this time we headed back towards Schinoussa we were going to go to Iraklia but pilot book said not very sheltered in forecast wind direction. Schinoussa was a lot quieter than last time as lots of cafes and restaurants were closed but still a lovely place. We took a longish walk and acquired a dog, we tried to visit the southern most headland on foot but it appears private. While at the restaurant a pickup truck party arrived, like a bus party only more suited to island roads. While eating John counted 11 cats, they were being occasionally moved on by a very ugly bull dog but the cats were winning.
    Onwards again still west this time towards the south coast of Paros, once in the lea it was a nice trip we went all the way across the south coast and headed up the West passing between Paros and Antiparos depth not a lot, in places less than 15foot with rocks wrecks and sailing dinghies to avoid and it was misty so we couldn’t make out the far transit mark but we got through and are now in the capital of Paros anchored up as no room in small marina.
    Read more