Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 562

    Aigina

    October 29, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Well here we are just south of Athens, on the north coast of Aigina. The winds in Sifnos were strong Wednesday night into Thursday morning and during the day and initially were blowing us onto the quay but we winched up on the anchor and things were OK, the wind then changed direction so all was good, though still gusting strongly. Met a crowd of youngsters on boat next door, 2 of the 6 had experience but one of them had had to return to Athens for a few days and the remaining experienced guy was getting worried about getting the others back to Athens for their flights on Saturday. He wanted to leave on Thursday afternoon but it was still gusting force 8. We expected them to leave early Friday but they were still there when we left about 9 and we kept looking back but think they may have decided that a ferry from Sifnos would be easier than a very long day at sea.
    We travelled from Sifnos up the east coast of Serifos to end up on the NW corner of Kythnos just above the harbour it was a beautiful sheltered quiet anchorage on the east side of a sand bar. I have just looked for photo but can’t find it, very irritating. On Friday we were amazed at how clear the air was, the visibility was incredible. On the way to Sifnos we had been unable to see the island until we were a couple of miles off but when we left we could see East to Syros and Paros and west to the mainland of the Peloponnese.
    From Kythnos we headed back towards Olympic Marina on the mainland via the southern tip of Kea and Makronisis, to get fuel. We stopped off on the west coast of Makronisis, for what John says will be his last swim of the year, and to look more closely at some of the abandoned buildings. We had a good look around but have no more idea why the island is now next to uninhabited than we did before.
    During our stay at Lavrion anchored in our usual bay just North of town we managed to find some Johnnie bread, white but apparently OK, and a few other GF treats and just for good measure I baked some more carrot cupcakes.
    On leaving our anchorage we saw the container ship CSL Virginia, the one that was rammed by the Turkish ship back on the 10 th near Corsica. The whole is seriously impressive, we hadn’t heard about the crash and at first couldn’t believe we were seeing a hole!
    Read more