Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 595

    Sami on Cephalonia

    December 1, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    OK so we are getting closer every trip to our Christmas 🎄 stopover location of Lefkas Marina on Lefkas. After waiting out a couple of days of high winds up in Messolonghi, we headed south down the channel to the open water. I had eaten ginger, taken tablets and was wearing my anti seasick bands all it turns out for no reason, there was a little chop but as we stayed in the shallow water as we headed west along the coast it didn’t amount to much. We then hugged Oxia island and headed slightly north to Ormos Petalas, a large shallow lagoon as more winds expected, and they did arrive so we stayed two nights and one day with only distant lights for company while winds howled around us. Sea didn’t pick up but that was probably because we were anchored in only 8 foot of water.
    On 30th November we continued the trip west, again it was a lot more pleasant than expected with the sun coming out for most of it, 4hours later we arrived in Sami harbour and found 2fishing boats and 1 other yacht. Ludwig the Danish owner of the other yacht a steel self build is off home on Monday leaving his boat alongside on the quay. We were a bit dubious but he has been cruising the Northern Ionian for 5years and all the locals know him and he assures us they will watch his boat for him.
    Today we walked to the main sites near the harbour, the Paleokastro and Antes Fanentes two sites from ancient Sami an Acropolis and church respectively. The last photo is of the walking trail backdown to town, it didn’t feel very Greek.
    Read more