Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    "Wait 5 Minutes"

    May 10, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ 🌬 4 °C

    In Iceland, they say, much like Scotland, that if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. Well, we are here to tell you that is an outright lie.

    Following breakfast, we received a phone call (thank goodness for roam like home) advising that our zodiac lagoon tour was being cancelled due to an impending storm. We were booked for 1:00 p.m and it was only 9:30 and already raining. With no options, we hit the road and headed east. To say we felt like Dorothy in Kansas is an understatement. Holy crap was it blowin'. We passed a guy on his bicycle but he was barely able to just stand at the roadside and hold it upright.

    We made it to Jokulsarlon to learn they had closed the portion of Hwy 1 that we had just driven. We were good to go east but anyone heading west was turned back. And that is how we met the father/son from Winnipeg and the couple from Berlin. We congregated at the Hoffsell Hot Pots outside of Hofn.....those 4 had been turned back due to the weather and road conditions.

    It was a crazy day....we wore every piece of rain gear we brought.....Columbia and UnderArmour should be commended for keeping us dry and warm.

    Tomorrow is another day. At the hot pots, the "Peggers" said we might encounter SNOW as we make our way up the east coast. We checked road conditions on-line and it looks ominous.

    Stay tuned.
    Read more