Satellite
  • Day 5

    Hoofin' from Hofn

    May 12, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    Day 4 promised to be pretty much a driving day only. WOW, f'ing, WOW. This day answered the "why go to Iceland?" Question in spades. Stunning,winding roads in and out of fjords, a 6 km tunnel through the mountain and without a doubt, THE neatest "general store" in Breidalsvik(pop. 139). Part of travelling is the unplanned bonuses that happen out of the blue. The general store was one of those wonderful bonuses.

    We reached Egilsstadir (egg salad store in Canadian!!) and proceeded to head east to our B&B in Seydisfjordur (save this four door in Canadian). It is a mere 25 km between towns with one very large "but". We had to climb a mountain to get there.....not literally, but with the car. You know the sound that pig makes in the Geico ad?? That was me....only out of fear!! We made it....and exhaled. Stayed at a 107 year old house that had been lovingly restored by the owners. We felt like we were back in Port.....600 folks in a small fishing port that doubles as an entry/exit for the ferry to Europe. It was worth the effort as was dinner at the pub across from our B&B. Icelandic lamb for me....ribs for Cath and everything done on the grill or BBQ.

    Following dinner, our hosts asked if we wanted to join them and chat......and drink a few beers .....Cath didn't have to be asked twice !!We were the only guests that night and spent a few hours covering everything from the Trumpster (they laugh at him) to local info and jobs. Very enlightening. They are terrific hosts.

    Tomorrow is another day...time for some rest.

    Photo info.....harbour in Djupivogur, 32 eggs in Djupivogur--1 egg for each bird species in the region, near the entrance to a 6 km tunnel south of Reydarfjordur
    Read more