Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Tunnel Vision

    May 15, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    WOW...it is Monday....our 2nd Monday in Iceland. We slept in Akureyri last night.....well located "apartment" in the middle of the main downtown area. We opt to stick around for awhile and tour on foot. We climb countless steps to the church (it was closed) and then proceed a short distance to a lovely botanical garden (it was open). We make our way back into the town square....several blocks of shops, cafes and assorted businesses. Stop for a photo op with the Trolls (NOT a rock band), have a quick snack and then totally pig out on ice cream before leaving town.

    We head north to Dalvik and keep on going. We encounter a 3km tunnel enroute to Siglufjordur followed by a 7km tunnel, a 3 km tunnel and finally an 800m tunnel. Some were one lane so we had to practice our "tunnel etiquette".... we passed with flying colours. Of course we did...we're Canadian.

    "Siglu" was awesome. Apparently in its hay day, 10000 people worked there....fishin'. What else?? Nowadays, it is a touristy stop and hiker heaven. It is what Port Stanley wants to be. We eventually left but not without incident. There were NO signs pointing the way out towards the highway we needed. We did a lap (or 2) around one block before finally stopping to ask some locals (who sounded Russian or Polish) for directions. Turns out they were sitting at the corner we needed to turn at. Onward and upward. Oh yea.....MORE upward for me as well as more water. To top things off, the road had sections in need of paving. Despite my fears, it was a breathtaking drive as we headed to our final stop du jour----Hofsos.

    We arrive in Hofsos....eventually get our reserved lodging figured out and walk down to THE pool to inquire about closing times and protocol. In the time this takes, the one and only source of groceries closes (@ 6) so it'll be whatever cheese,crackers,salsa&chips we still have left over. Oh well, shit happens. Our accommodation last night in Akureyri provided a door code which rendered a front desk person utterly useless. Tonight's place is so polar opposite of last night's that I don't think the distance between the two can be quantified. We literally walked into an unlocked, empty house!!!! 5 rooms, all with keys in their seperate doors and NOBODY home !! Talk about low tech. I feel like I am back in the 60's when people still left their front doors unlocked. Well, turns out We are not back in the 60's......this town (Hofsos) IS the 60's.

    We adjourn to THE pool for about an hour long soak and swim. THE pool is an infinity pool overlooking the fjord. It also comes with a "hot pot" which is a large jacuzzi-like pool without the jets. Say the least...the views are why THE pool has helped put Hofsos on the tourist map.

    We return "home" and shortly thereafter our "host" arrives to collect our payment. At least she is somewhat high tech....she has a portable credit card machine in her hand!! We are the only guests tonight so "party on Wayne". She informs us we must visit the Emigration Centre tomorrow. Apparently it deals with Icelanders who emigrated to Canada. "Will do."

    Quiet night here....they rolled up the street at 6 p.m remember!! At least the pool stayed open til 8. Did I mention that THE pool is outdoors?? Open year round. There...I have provided a FREE travel plug for Hofsos.

    No concrete plans tomorrow. Borgarnes is a possible destination......Lonely Planet speaks highly of the town and surrounding area. One of these days we will get to Reykjavik.....no rush.
    Read more