Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Snorri Time

    May 17, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 3 °C

    Since we decided to stay at "the farm" for a second night, we planned an easy day with very little driving. Problem was the weatherman messed with us and dropped the temps to 6C and tossed in some wind and a bit of drizzle. Bastard !!

    Oh well, we packed for it so off we went...heading towards Reykholt. along the way, we stopped at Deildartunguhver as did a bus load of Asian tourists. They stayed for 5 minutes.....we lasted 10. The place is Europe's biggest hot spring...water temp 100C. Next !!

    We zip along to Reykholt and discover Snorralaug (aka Snorri's Pool) along with a statue of Snorri Sturluson, a famous son credited with writing Egil's Saga. A side note....sagas are a big deal here in Iceland. While we aren't fluent in them as yet, they seem to be part myth, part fact, part who knows what !! Catherine and I are attending a comedy play on Saturday night in Reykjavik that deals entirely with the sagas. We will report on it later.

    Snorri's Pool is small and cannot be used as a hot tub. Fine.....put a check mark beside that....let's move along.

    Today featured a daily double "foss" siting. For those of you who have been paying attention, you know that anything ending in "foss" or containing the word "foss" means only one thing......WATERFALL !! Woo hoo.....we scored 2 today and as luck would have it, they were side by side. We came across Hraunfossar and Barnafoss. It was a shame that we had a cloudy day....both are beautiful and very unique when compared to the BIG ones on our trip. The pics will give you some idea. I'm thinking that we should open a Tubing business at these falls. They are too narrow for white water rafting but would make an excellent tube run as long as participants wore hockey elbow pads and a helmet. Water is coming at you from every direction and the speed is a warp factor 7 (been a few days since I tossed in a Star Trek reference!!)

    That concludes our "to do" list for this neck of the woods. Now back to Borganes. We luck out along the way to visit with some Icelandic horses. Once we pulled over and put the window down, one strolled over to the fence out of curiosity. In the background were 2 playful white horses who, once we put the camera away, leapt onto their hind legs and gave high fives !! Reminded me of that Far Side cartoon where the cows are standing around on two legs until one yells "car" at which point the cows drop down onto all four hooves. Stupid tourists !!!

    Borganes features an Icelandic Settlement Centre. Upon entering (and paying....first time we have paid for any attraction here) you are given headsets that have an audio guide to lead you along. It's a two part tour taking one hour. Despite the price, well worth it. The Centre also sold souvenirs but not cheap "made off shore ones". We passed on purchasing anything but the quality of the items being sold was second to none.

    It is now late in the afternoon and we're hungry. We find a koffehuis ( spelling??) and of course run into someone we know. Well, we don't really know them but is is the third day we have crossed paths. "They" are a young German couple whom we first me in Egg Salad Store as we stayed at the same guesthouse. We met up again at the Myvatn Nature Baths and then again today. We are all travelling counter clockwise.

    And guess what? Remember me saying we took the wrong road up to Husavik ? At the Nature Baths I warned the Germans not to take Hwy 87 because it was mostly gravel. Sure enough...they got confused and mistakenly took it.....and saw a car in the ditch being driven by a young girl . Feel bad for all of them but got some measure of redemption for being a scaredy cat 🐱 when we took that road.

    Anyways, we had a great chat with them....compared notes....got some tips for the Golden Circle area and enjoyed their cell phone video of the whales they saw in Husavik.

    Another day comes to an end but not before the farm dog decides I will be her new BFF. Several minutes after befriending her she is outside our room door wimpering. Ah, man's best friend indeed.

    On tap for tomorrow.....the Snaefellsnes Peninsula (aka The Snuffles Ness Peninsula).
    Read more