Satélite
  • Dia 3

    Day 3: Boarder Crossing - HK to Yangshuo

    31 de maio de 2017, China ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Woke up bright and early after 13 hours blissful uninterrupted sleep. Met our travel buddy Marissa and our first guide Rosanna. Took the tram up Victoria peak where we all enjoyed fantastic views of Hong Kong peninsula and breakfast. Caught a series of buses and the metro to the Chinese border, and caught the fastest bullet train in Asia (300km/h). Gill was very impressed how clean the stations were. Emma was very impressed with her purple potato crisps.

    Marissa has also been a very knowledgeable additional guide specialising in Chinese economics and random facts (such as the difference between pirates and pirateers!)

    We now have to get used to squat toilets! Gill managed to pee without getting her feet wet! Emma was excited at the prospect of toning her bum over the next month.

    The drive from Guilin to Yangshuo was long, but taking in the mountainous green scenery of Guanxi region kept us mesmerised.

    From Sally (our Yangshuo guide) we learned that Yangshuo's trade is 50/50 tourism and farming, mostly growing oranges and mandarins. Also due to tectonic plate movement creating underground rivers, a subway system isn't possible here.

    Walked through the array of flashing lights, live music, sizzling street food to enjoy our first proper Chinese meal at 'Lucy's Place'. Gill had cashew nut chicken, Emma had clay pot egg plant with "pork".

    Goodnight! Gill & Em x
    Leia mais