Satellite
Show on map
  • Gili Trawangan

    March 19, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    We had heard a lot about Gili Trawangan before arriving to Indonesia. People whom we met while traveling told us that it was nicer than Bali and that the diving was perfect. It certainly didn't disappoint. We stayed in a bungalow hut in Deep House bungalows just off the beach, it was a nice chilled accommodation perfect for us to relax at. There was no cars or motorbikes on the island so the only modes of transport are either by bike or by horse and cart. The weather was slightly mixed while we were there, some days there were showers and other days it was beautiful and sunny. This sort if suited us though because we had no major plans so when it rained we were able to relax and when it was sunny we went cycling.

    Una and I decided to finish our advanced PADI scuba diving course so that we can dive in a wider number of dive sites as we continued to travel. We had to do three more dives to gain our certification. The first one we did was a night dive where we used a hand torch to search for fish. There was different fish out at night compared to during the day. We saw lots of crab, lobster and also got to see a little red starfish which was pretty. The second dive was to ensure we understood navigation and how to use a compass. We had to guide our way in different directions following our compass. This dive though was the best dive we did because the visibility was really good. We were able to see loads of different fish and coral very clearly. We saw four turtles hiding under rocks and a baby white-tipped shark. It was very cool. The third dive was a drift dive which is where you let the current bring you along so you don't actually have to swim. It was nice being able to glide through the water with no effort. We got to see more turtles again which I was very excited about.

    Apart from doing some scuba diving, Gili Trawangan was a nice place for us to relax for a week and not have to plan where to go the following day. There was some delicious places to eat and plenty of bars with good atmosphere. We watched some pretty sunsets and relaxed by the beach. I am very glad that we heard about Gili Trawangan, it was the perfect island to have a break and I was very happy to have seen turtles while diving.
    Read more