Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Salvador

    June 29, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ 🌫 25 °C

    The first stop of our 2 weeks adventure is Salvador. Once the magnificent capital of Portugal's New World Colony, Salvador is the country's Afro Brazilian jewel. The city is marked by the harsh history of the African slave trade. However, today's lively Bahian capital offers a unique fusion of two vibrant cultures.

    To get there we took a direct flight from Sao Paulo. When we reached our hostel, we were really surprised in a positive way when finding a cosy hostel right in the historic centre of Pelourinho with a swimming pool on a terrace. Pelourinho is a Unesco declared World heritage site of colourful colonial buildings and magnificent churches. As the right tourists we went directly to the streets to explore. When wandering around, I was just amazed by its liveliness and colours everywhere.

    Moreover, the state of Bahia is well known for its amazing cuisine. We wanted to try a local dish called Moqueca so we looked for the right restaurant. If you wanna attract czech people to enter your restaurant...offer them a free caipirinha. Thats exactly what made us to choose the right place. :D Moqueca is a dish based on a fish or other sea food, tomatoes, onions, garlic and coriander cooked with coconut milk and served with beans and rice on a side. We chose a shrimp one and it was just delicious. After a good food it was time to relax by the hostel's pool with a happy hour of free caipirinhas. If you are ever in Salvador, book your stay in the hostel Galeria 13!

    The month of June is characterized by the festas Juninas (June's celebrations). So, in the evening we were ready to go out to enjoy the nightlife scene of Salvador. All the streets were colourfully decorated and music was coming from every corner. Also the capoeira performances took place almost at every square of the city. Capoeira combines elements of the fight, the game and the dance. It was developed by Afro-Brazilian slaves more than 400 years ago as a means of maintaining a ready self-defense against their masters. Today it remains a uniquely Bahian art form.
    Read more