Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Rome to Sorrento, via Capri

    June 7, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We drove from Rome to the port of Naples to catch a ferry to Capri. Apparently, Naples was the most damaged Italian city during WWII and it has never fully recovered because even today, it is quite run down. That said, it is the second busiest port for cruise ships next to Hong Kong.

    The ferry to Capri was only about 45 minutes and the coach didn't come with us (Ollie continued in driving to Sorrento). Most of the group took a boat cruise around the entire island, which only took about 90 minutes, including scenic photo stops and swimming! The water wasn't as warm as I expected, but it was refreshing and the colour was amazing! It was very salty and easy to float without expending any effort.

    We got back with a couple of hours until our ferry to Sorrento and a few of us (UK Tom, Australian Tom, and Cobey) thought it would be interesting to see more of the island views, so we went to a scooter rental shop. If tried ones out, but the owner suggested I should go on with one of the other guys because it's quite challenging to ride on their road - especially since I've never operated a scooter. In hindsight, it was definitely the right decision because the entire route was all narrow, walled roads and switchbacks. Possibly the worst place to learn to ride a scooter! I rode with Cobey because he has ridden them for years and is very good at it, which meant I could take in all of the sights along the way! We made it to the other side of the island and took in the most amazing views I could imagine! It was €15 for an hour for each scooter, which was perfect because that was all the time we had.

    We made it back in time to meet the rest of the group and catch the 45 minute ferry to Sorrento. Ollie met us with the coach for a short ride to the campsite. We set up in record time and the whole lot of us descended on a piazza for a walkabout dinner. Ten of us found our way down one of the side streets to a great little place that held us, but that was pretty much it! For my last meal in Italy, I ordered lasagna AND gnocchi, finished both, and they were fantastic... Great way to wrap up my Italian food experience!
    Read more