Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Ferries from Italy to Greece via Pompeii

    June 8, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We got going from our Sorrento campsite at the crack of dawn because we needed to be at Pompeii for our 9am guided tour. We made it and it was already about 25 Celsius, so it was definitely a cooker! I was feeling a bit off that morning, which made for a rough start for me... All good by mid-morning though!

    Pompeii was interesting to see and experience. Right now there are about 20 bronze statues done by a Polish sculptor scattered throughout the area that will remain for the rest of 2016 (not sure why). As with many historical sites, much of the area is inaccessible due to restoration or archaeological digs. Many of us are familiar with the story of Pompeii and heard of things frozen in time from the ash that fell from the Mount Vesuvius eruption 2000 years ago. A few are on display for the public to see (e.g. a slave, a young boy, and a dog).

    After Pompeii, it was back on the road to Bari, Italy to catch the overnight ferry to Igoumenitsa, Greece. The ferry left at 8pm and arrived in Greece the following morning at 5am local time (one hour time difference) and the trip was uneventful. I was able to get a fairly decent sleep, which was fantastic! It was neat not sleeping in a tent for the first time in 16 days.

    Our arrival in Igoumenitsa meant that it was time for the next ferry ride to the Greek island of Corfu. The early morning trip was about 90 minutes long and it was terrific! Beautiful sites and great smell of the sea!
    Read more