Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Corfu!

    June 9, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Vacation within the vacation... The best descriptor for Corfu!

    We arrived at the campsite in the morning shortly after the ferry and we set up camp to get that out of the way. Then, it was into Corfu Old Town for lunch and to check things out.

    I had my first Greek gyros, which were similar to what is had at home, but they put French fries in them (turns out that everywhere does that and that it's the norm).

    We were also advised to go for a "fish spa"... Put your feet into a tank with small fish and they'll nibble at the dead skin to leave your feet silky smooth. Sure, why not! It was an interesting feeling - tickled for the first little bit, but all good after that! I think we could have sat there all afternoon to get to "silky smooth", especially since we'd been camping and walking in great abundance over the last few weeks!

    A few of us climbed the castle overlooking the island for some amazing views of the town and water ("wadda" if you're Australian). Then it was back to the campsite to some pool and beach time! The pool and patio area were fantastic, while the 5 minute walk to the beach wasn't bad either! The beach was all pebbles, but the water was gorgeous and it was sandy underneath. Find that night was at the poolside restaurant.

    The next day was was full on vacation vacation... Breakfast at 10, then poolside for a few hours, but then the skies opened up and in two hours it rained almost 3 inches! Luckily this campsite had a huge covered portion of patio, so we took shelter there and prayed our tents wouldn't float away! After the downpour, we surveyed the tent situation and we're pleasantly surprised that things were relatively dry - a welcome surprise!

    The next day was George's Boat, which was a cruise around Corfu with swim stops and a terrific fresh lunch (tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, bread, cheese, meats, and tzatikki) in great abundance! It was definitely needed considering all the swimming that took place that day! I was diligent about applying and re-applying sunscreen ("suncream" in Aussie), so I wasn't too crispy by day's end!

    Our last night in Corfu was spent at our authentic Ionian Dinner... Most of the food was great, but the meat (chicken, pork, and lamb) were very oily and I didn't do much more than try them. The best part of the evening was the Greek dancing and audience participation! It was like Folklorama on steroids!
    Read more